I am a mom who is learning to adapt everyday to the challenges of raising two daughters.

Sunday, December 07, 2008

chicken pox diary - Day 3







Since the last entry I have:

- Taken pooky bear to the hospital Sat night to discover that it was a good thing we did. The erythromycin was not working effectively due to the nauseating side effects. This resulted in the sores expanding in size. A pediatrician prescribed new antibiotics including a stronger antibiotic ointment. The Dr left us his number and advised us to call if there were any changes we were concerned about. We were very fortunate to avoid IV antibiotics.

Note - Biaxin is a part of the erythromycin family. However, it has been developed to be easier on the stomach, specifically for children. It is a pricy drug, however worth every penny. Some plans cover it (like my husband's), however, the Saskatchewan provincial government will only cover it after submitting a claim for it. You must pay the $80.00 then reimbursed for it later.

- Made approximately 10 snowflakes for the E.R. while waiting to see the pediatrician. My husband and I kept "one-up'ing" each other with our snowflake making abilities. Pooky bear thought it was great. I was so happy I brought scissors, and books to occupy us.

- Discovered that Micheal Martchenko, the illustrator for Robert Munsch books, likes to put taradactol dactyls in every book. The taradactol is hiding and is not found on every page. We are thinking that the older Robert Munsch he has mice hiding in the pages, and in the newer Robert Munsch books, they are taradactols. My suggestion is to read "More Pies" and you will see what I mean.

-Realized the only way to get Pooky bear to have the antibiotic ointment on her is to have her hold my hand and squeeze. Let me tell you, she has a strong grip! She thinks it is actually funny to have me react as though she is hurting me. She completely forgets about the cream.

- Witnessed her daughter not crying for missing a Christmas party today. I was sure she was going to be upset, so my husband and I did our best to make her understand why she could not go and her little sister could. Our efforts paid off, and she was thrilled to have her little sister come home and give her a gift.


After all of this. I am happy my youngest has had the chicken pox vaccination. I am a little frustrated with the Sask health for not covering the cost of the vaccination when it first came out when Pooky was a baby. I do remember when the vaccination first became available for a cost, there were many Dr's, including ours, who did not agree with the vaccination. This, also could have been prevented with the proper material eduating the Dr's on the risk of chicken pox. From my understanding, it was the pediatrician's of Saskatchewan that helped the chicken pox vaccination become covered by Sask health. If only they would have been helping to educate G.P's about the risks as well.

Oh well, what's done is done. I feel very blessed that Pooky is on the road to recovery, finally. God was definately watching over our pooky bear, and that makes me VERY thankful! Our prayers are answered.

No comments: