I am a mom who is learning to adapt everyday to the challenges of raising two daughters.

Thursday, December 04, 2008

chicken pox diary - hour 1

Pooky bear finaly has the chicken pox. I first discovered it when she was changing for school. She was complaining her tummy was itchy, my first instinct was her eczema, but the little red dots all over her belly proved me wrong. She was not a happy camper to find out she would miss school today, but was quickly calmed with the idea of lots of oatmeal baths and computer time.

I have been hoping she would get them soon, I was beginning to wonder if she had immunity given she had been exposed at least two times to chicken pox. But now that she has them, I know her days will be filled with what ever makes her: A. happy and B. not itch.

My mom quickly helped me out with the traditional home remedies, which so far has proven to not work. She first recomended calmine lotion (unsure of spelling), this in the first 30 minutes of discovering she has chicken pox, did not help. She then advised me to make a paste of baking soda and water, I tried this after the calamine lotion. The baking soda and water made her cry. So, I did what I know works on itchy, irritated, eczema: oatmeal bath.

She right now is lying in the water, which in the first 45 minutes of discovering the chicken pox, is helping. Now I just need to figure out a way to stop the itch while out of the tub. Hmm, oatmeal paste??? Messy, but maybe worth a try.

No comments: