I am a mom who is learning to adapt everyday to the challenges of raising two daughters.

Monday, December 08, 2008

reverse psychology

Tonight at story time, Little Monkey kept standing on our couch. After repeatedly asking her to sit down, I resorted to telling her she had until the count of three to make a better choice to sit down. She glared at me and demanded I stop counting. After counting to three, I took her off the couch. It was then, I fully realize I am parenting a near three year old!

Little Monkey screamed at the top of her lungs, in a pitch only opera singers can sing, to which had Pooky bear covering her ears. It was hard not to laugh, because even though she was very upset, she still had a song in her voice which is not demanding at all, it is her facial expressions which clearly indicate she is unhappy with the consequences.

After her scream, she quickly ran out of the room. Not wanting her to go to her room, I told her to "GO TO YOUR ROOM!" She quickly replied, "NO!" I also didn't want her in the hall way, so I told her to "STAY IN THE HALL WAY!" She, yet again, replied, "NO!" Then, she went quiet for a moment, realized she was in the hall way and did not want to go to her room, so she came back to the living room.

Parenting is great!

No comments: