I am a mom who is learning to adapt everyday to the challenges of raising two daughters.

Thursday, December 18, 2008

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

This year it has been a challenge to get into the Christmas spirit. Financial constraints and health obstacles have made it diffcult to even think about Christmas. My husband and I procrastinated in putting up the Christmas tree as a result of this. We ended up putting it up on Sunday, and it started to look like Christmas. However, it still did not feel like Christmas. It was not until tonight that it felt like Christmas.

I was at Superstore taking advantage of my husband being sick at home and being able to go to Superstore, which is now open 24 hours. I walked into the store, grabbed a basket, and leisurely shopped. Ever so often, I would check the cashier line ups. There were two cashiers working which had line ups leading into the isles. When I saw how long the line up was, I decided to "shop" in another department I had not been to yet.

When it was just after 11:00pm, I decided to check the line ups again. That time it was not looking too bad. There was one line up which was still rather long, however most of the people in the line had only a few items each to purchase. The other line only consisted of one mother and her daughter. Her cart was very full and was just starting to unload her cart. I took a chance on the mother and daughter.

While I was watching her unload her cart, I noticed her shopping trip was not a leisure one, like mine was. Her shopping trip was an entire grocery shop which, I would assume, would last at least 2 weeks. The mom looked tired, and worn out. Her daughter appeared happy to sit and play with the chain on the cart. She didn't even seem to notice it was late and probably way past her bed time.

When the mom finished paying for her groceries, it was my turn. I quickly paid for my items, bagged them and noticed the mom still working on bagging her groceries. Looking down at my groceries and realizing she still has half of her groceries to pack, I quickly set my groceries down out of the way and offered to help the mom bag her groceries. After offering, the mom looked at me, pondered if it would be a good idea, then agreed to receive my help. I quickly went to work.

After we were done, she quickly said thank you to me. I told her I understand what it is like to be by yourself shopping with a toddler. I wished her a Merry Christmas, which had caught her by surprise. She paused for a moment, then wished me a Merry Christmas also. With how she responded to my wishes, I felt as though no one has said Merry Christmas to her this year and I was the first one to. That could be why she acted surprised when I said it to her.

I definitely now feel it is Christmas. I think it was actually a blessing, I ended up in line just behind the mom. I think we helped each other. She reminded me to be a servant of Christ and I reminded her of Christmas.

No comments: